Adarsh Gram (Model Village): A Concept Note
- The new Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) has brought into sharp focus the idea of decentralized and bottom-up rural development, beginning with a single village adopted by an MP.
- This concept note explores the idea of a model village and also the need to adopt a SAGY-like strategy.
- Technology, community involvement, sustainability and connectivity need to be key elements of any such village, and any efforts towards convergence must rely extensively on these approaches.
- Guidelines have already been laid down under SAGY, including stipulations on which village can be adopted, the activities to be undertaken, and the process of preparation of Village Development Plans by each Panchayat.
- Several past examples (included in this brief) highlight different kinds of model villages based on local conditions and requirements. The case studies are from various parts of the country – including Maharashtra, Telangana, Gujarat and Kerala.