Innovative Initiatives of the Modi Government
- The first budget of the Modi government brought with it some important policy decisions such as liberalizing the FDI limits in some sectors, improving the state of urban low-cost housing, focus on infrastructure creation through emphasis on transparent PPP projects etc. However, the Finance Minister also announced several new initiatives, some of which were piloted during the course of the past year.
- This brief looks at some of these new initiatives in greater detail. In particular, it looks at how these schemes are intended as “scale-ups” of earlier state level initiatives – especially from Gujarat.
- The schemes/initiatives covered in this document are:
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Smart cities
- Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rurban Mission
- Van Bandhu Kalyan Yojana
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Canal-top solar power plants
- Virtual classrooms